If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site


You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Emergency Care From Our Veterinarian in Gary, IN

At Glen Park Animal Hospital, our veterinarian in Gary, IN can provide emergency care when your pet needs it most. During our regular hours, our veterinary staff is here to handle urgent situations and medical emergencies, with accidental toxin/poison ingestion being among the most common that we see in our office.

pet poison

Most Common Toxins Ingested By Cats and Dogs

Unfortunately, pet toxins and poisons are found in every home, which is why it's so important to keep them out of pets' reach as much as possible. Some of the more common toxins and poisons that we see ingested by pets include:

  • pest bait
  • house plants
  • medications
  • antifreeze
  • certain foods (chocolate, artificial sweeteners, etc.)

The best way to protect your pet from these toxins is to simply keep them stored away out of your pet's reach. However, pets can be sneaky creatures, which is why it's also important to be on the lookout for common signs of poisoning in pets and know how to act accordingly.

How to Tell is a Pet Has Ingested Something Toxic

Sometimes, the most obvious sign that a pet has ingested a toxin or poison will be a leftover wrapper or similar evidence. However, in some situations, there may be no obvious evidence and so pet owners must rely on symptoms displayed by their pets directly.

There are many potential symptoms of poison ingestion, but excessive drooling and overall lethargy tend to be among the most common, especially in dogs. Your pet may also display an overall lack of appetite, vomiting, and/or diarrhea. Many pet owners also note that their pets simply don't seem quite like themselves. It's always best to trust your gut instinct when it comes to your pet's health.

What to Do if Your Pet Swallowed Poison

If you believe your pet has swallowed poisons, it is important to seek veterinary care as soon as possible. During our regular office hours, we ask that you give us a quick call to let us know you're coming and explain the situation; this will give us time to ensure our veterinary team is ready to assist your pet as soon as you arrive. If you believe your pet's life may be endangered by taking the time to call during our office hours, come right in and let our front desk staff know about the emergency so we can see your pet as soon as possible.

Furthermore, if available, bring in a label or sample of the toxin/poison your pet has ingested. This will help us determine the best course of treatment and save valuable time when it comes to diagnosing and treating your pet.

Questions? Contact Our Gary Veterinary Team!

If you have any questions about toxins and poisons in pets, or if you need to schedule an appointment for your pet to see our Gary veterinary team, give Glen Park Animal Hospital a call. You can reach us at 219-980-4944.

Monthly Deal



THIS ---->https://glenparkanimalhospitalcom.vetmatrixbase.com/services/toxin-ingestion-poison.html

Business Hours

Day Open Closed
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
9:00am 9:00am 9:00am 9:00am 9:00am 9:00am Closed
5:00pm 5:00pm 5:00pm 5:00pm 5:00pm 1:00pm Closed

Exclusive Offer


I have been bringing all of my dogs to Glen Park Animal Hospital for the past 20 years and have found their service to be excellent! I am a nurse and have found that the care, competency and compassion that the entire staff gives to the animals is as good as (and in some instances even better than) the "human doctors/hospitals"!! Dr. Larson explains everything and does good follow-up with my "fur-babies". You can tell that the entire staff loves their job!
Read more ...

Carol S.
Gary, IN

Newsletter Sign Up